Washington, D.C. – Community leaders from across the country, including the Washington, D.C. metro area, are headed to Capitol Hill Feb. 3rd to meet with U.S. Senators and Representatives from nearly 50 states to educate them about critical substance abuse issues. These Congressional meetings are taking place during Community Anti-Drug Coalitions of America’s (CADCA) 26th annual National Leadership Forum, the nation’s largest training conference for substance abuse prevention and treatment professionals and researchers, as part of Capitol Hill Day.
“It is critical, now more than ever, to make the case for the importance of primary prevention and to cultivate new congressional champions,” said Gen. Arthur T. Dean, CADCA Chairman & CEO.
Capitol Hill Day kicks off with an opening plenary followed by a congressional reception on the Hill. Several distinguished Members of Congress will provide remarks at each event and Congresswoman Susan Brooks (R-Ind.), Congressman Paul Tonko (D-NY), and Senator Joseph Simon Donnelly (D-Ind.) will receive CADCA’s Congressional Leadership Award. The day concludes with Congressional appointments.
“Too many families across Indiana and our country have come to know firsthand the pain of a loved one suffering from addiction and that is why I have been working to stem the tide of this public health crisis. It’s encouraging that we are seeing some momentum and bipartisan consensus in Indiana, and in the Senate there are commonsense actions we can take that will make a difference for Hoosiers and Americans. It is an honor to receive this recognition, and I will continue working in a bipartisan way to address the opioid abuse and heroin use epidemics by expanding prevention, treatment, and recovery services,” said U.S. Senator Joe Donnelly (D-Ind).
CAPITOL HILL DAY OPENING PLENARY:
Wednesday, Feb. 3, 8:30 -10:45 a.m.
Gaylord National Hotel & Convention Center
201 Waterfront St.
National Harbor, Md.
- Gen. Arthur T. Dean, CADCA Chairman & CEO, U.S. Army, Retired
- Sue Thau, CADCA Public Policy Consultant
- The Honorable Mary Bono, Principal, FaegreBD Consulting, Member of Congress (1998-2013)
- Congresswoman Susan Brooks (R-Ind.), CADCA’s Congressional Leadership Award recipient
- Congressman Paul Tonko (D-NY), CADCA’s Congressional Leadership Award recipient
- Congressman Bob Dold (R-Ill.)
- Congresswoman Lucille Roybal-Allard (D-Calif.)
- Congressman Evan Jenkins (R-WV)
CAPITOL HILL DAY RECEPTION:
Wednesday, Feb. 3, 11:30-12:30 p.m.
902 Hart Senate Office Building
- Senator Joseph Simon Donnelly (D-Ind.), CADCA’s Congressional Leadership Award recipient
- Senator Rob Portman (R-Ohio)
- Senator Joe Manchin (D-WV)
- Congressman Elijah Cummings (D-Md.)
- Senator Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa)
- Senator Edward John Markey (D-Mass.)
CADCA’s National Leadership Forum attracted 2,700 attendees and featured more than 70 training courses to help participants learn effective strategies to address drug-related problems in their communities. This four-day training event brings together community drug prevention coalitions from all regions of the country and internationally, government leaders, youth, prevention specialists, addiction treatment professionals, addiction recovery advocates, researchers, educators, law enforcement professionals, and faith-based leaders.
For more information about CADCA’s National Leadership Forum, visit https://forum.cadca.org.