Experts on the Opioid Epidemic, Marijuana and E-cigarette Trends, and More to Present
WHAT: CADCA (Community Anti-Drug Coalitions of America) is holding its 15th annual Mid-Year Training Institute to convene nearly 2,000 substance abuse prevention and treatment specialists from across the world to discuss solutions to the most pressing public health issues threatening communities. The Mid-Year also welcomes more than 200 youth who will take part in CADCA’s youth-led, adult-guided civic engagement training, the National Youth Leadership Initiative (NYLI), where they’ll learn how to become drug prevention advocates and powerful community leaders.
WHEN: July 17 – 21, 2016
WHERE: The Mirage, 3400 S Las Vegas Blvd, Las Vegas, Nevada
KEY MEDIA OPPORTUNITIES:
- Monday, July 18 – The Opening Plenary and Breakfast will feature several renowned experts in the field:
- General Arthur T. Dean, Chairman and CEO, CADCA, who is an expert in community coalition best practices and substance abuse prevention;
- Frances Harding, Director, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration’s Center for Substance Abuse Prevention, who is recognized as one of the nation’s leading experts in alcohol and drug policy;
- Keynote speaker, Dr. Moira O’Neil, Senior Researcher and Director of Interpretation, Frameworks Institute, who will discuss how coalitions can frame their substance abuse messages to resonate with their communities.
- Tuesday, July 19 – Coalition leaders will be volunteering at The Shade Tree, which provides safe shelter to homeless and abused women and children in crisis and is located at 1 W Owens Ave, North Las Vegas.
- Wednesday, July 20 – CADCA’s NYLI will hold a mock city council meeting, featuring Kana Enomoto, Principal Deputy Administrator, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, to discuss the adoption of the ordinance that would prohibit the sale of cigarettes to those under the age of 21. CADCA’s youth from Nevada and around the nation will be available for interviews after this event.
- Thursday, July 21 – International delegations from 16 countries, in which CADCA has been building coalitions, will be available for media interviews to discuss the challenges, trends and solutions they are implementing. Countries include Iraq, Costa Rica and Tajikistan.
To view the training sessions available at CADCA’s Mid-Year Training Institute, visit cadca.org/myti.