The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Office on Smoking and Health has developed and released The Next 50 Years. This video can help coalitions raise awareness and draw attention to the important work that remains to be done in tobacco control.
Here are a few ideas to help you make the most of this video:
- Follow CDC Tobacco Free on social media to see and share CDC/OSH updates on the release of The Next 50 Years. Please use #Next50 in any social media posts about the video. (See below for sample social media posts.)
- Share with your grantees, stakeholders and partners; encourage them to use the video in their social media and other communications.
- Use to recruit new partners – show at meetings, include in presentations.
- Use in outreach to media and bloggers; the video is a great resource to accompany a story about tobacco issues in your community or state.
Smoking has been the number-one cause of preventable death and disease in this country for decades. If we could eliminate tobacco use entirely, the results would be monumental:
- We would prevent nearly half a million premature deaths each year.
- We would save the lives of 5.6 million children alive today who would die prematurely because of smoking.
- 58 million Americans still exposed to secondhand smoke would breathe more freely.We would prevent one out of three cancer deaths in this country.
Sample Twitter Post: Who’s ready to work together to build a tobacco-free future? Retweet to show your support for the #Next50 https://bit.ly/1SBQBHh
Sample Facebook Post: Just released! We celebrate the progress made in the past 50 years and look forward to a tobacco-free future. #Next50 https://bit.ly/1SBQBHh
Web Banner: Embed this web banner on your website or in emails to connect visitors to the video.