In 2009, The New York City Prevention Resource Center was established to increase community health and wellness by facilitating the creation of community partnerships focused on reducing the impact of alcohol and drugs abuse in their neighborhoods. The Resource Center offers free technical assistance to each community to identify and mobilize local stakeholders to assess, plan, implement, and evaluate a series of individual and community strategies working to improve the overall conditions of the area.
About the Position:
The Children’s Aid Society (CAS) received funding from the Office of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Services (OASAS) to establish a Regional Prevention Resource Center (RPRC). The purpose of the RPRC Community Development Specialist/Trainer is to provide training and technical assistance to local coalitions and OASAS providers located in the five-boroughs. Well-developed coalitions are able to combine resources that lower risk factors and increase protective factors which contribute to the promotion of healthy development of young people decreasing problem behaviors such as substance abuse, delinquency, teen pregnancy, dropping out of school and violence. CAS is seeking a highly motivated, energized Prevention Professional to assist with the mission of the RPRC.
Under the supervision of the NYC PRC Director, the Community Development Specialist (CDS) is responsible for working with coalitions to identify their needs and provide the appropriate training and technical assistance as needed.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Outreach to and work with existing community coalitions throughout the region, as well as helping in the development of new coalitions
- Provide training and technical assistance to new and existing coalitions, OASAS prevention providers, and other community organizations on prevention best-practice, community-level change, and environmental strategies.
- In partnership with the coalitions, create marketing and public information campaigns to educate, promote and foster local community coalition development
- Create and Provide training material and other content for use within the NYC PRC social media platforms.
- Responsible for creation of quarterly newsletter on Constant Contact
- Work in collaboration with PRC staff to plan and execute community networking events and other meetings with the aim of increasing prevention capacity throughout New York City.
- Serve as Community Development Specialist to 4-5 local neighborhoods and colleges, providing individual and group consultation services on an ongoing basis.
- Develop and deliver a series of related ongoing workshops and trainings for Prevention Providers.
- Complete the Substance Abuse Prevention Skills Training (SAPST) and complete course work to become a certified SAPST Trainer.
- Master’s Degree Preferred in related field.
- Must possess a friendly and engaging demeanor that enjoys meeting new people and forming new relationships.
- 3-5 five years’ experience working in the prevention field and knowledge of alcohol and other drugs model programs.
- Knowledge of and experience with environmental strategies and the Strategic Prevention Framework.
- Background working with community-based coalitions, community readiness issues, needs assessments, strategic planning and project implementation.
- Experience with community organizing in an urban/metropolitan settings.
- Workshop development and strong facilitation/presentation skills and experience.
- Able to periodically travel to upstate/out-of-state conferences and meetings.
- Credentialed Prevention Professional preferred.
Children's Aid Society is an equal opportunity employer
Hours: 9-5 with occassional evenings