Title: Associate, Coalition Development
Department: National Coalition Institute – Training, Coalition Development TA & Outreach Department
Reports to: Senior Manager, Coalition Development
Employment Status: Full-time, exempt
Location: 625 Slaters Lane, Suite 300, Alexandria, VA 22314
The Associate of Coalition Development is an entry level position responsible for supporting the Senior Manager in the management of CADCA’s National Coalition Development and Outreach Support System (CDOSS). The Associate will work in collaboration with the Senior Manager and Deputy Director to carry out the National Coalition Institute’s mission to facilitate intensive, comprehensive coalition development support (i.e., technical assistance) to community coalitions, state and federal leaders. This position focuses on building new coalitions and strengthening the capacity of existing ones with an emphasis on the Drug-Free Community Support Program (DFC) grant recipients, economically disadvantaged communities and coalitions serving special populations throughout the United States and its territories.
The Associate of Coalition Development will be required, among other tasks, to:
- Provide direct coalition development support by phone and email to a variety of stakeholders in the substance misuse prevention field including, but not limited to, community coalitions, Single State Agencies (SSAs), and federal partners
- Monitor and analyze emerging trends and coalition development support data findings to improve service delivery
- Interface with DFC Federal Partners including Government Project Officers in the coordination, delivery and reporting of coalition development support for DFC grant recipients
- Provide proactive outreach to customers to follow up on initial requests
- Create monthly, quarterly and yearly reports of coalition development support activities for internal and external information and decision-making
- Maintain, adjust and update the Coalition Development and Outreach Support System (CDOSS) as necessary to meet data collection and reporting needs
- Manage the Chairman’s Award Application process for a training Graduation Ceremony
- Support the Institute and Training Operations team in conducting research and developing state prevention infrastructure profiles
- Support logistics and preparation for two large National Conferences and additional fee for service training efforts as needed
- Coordinate quarterly meetings for coalitions located in the District, Maryland and Virginia (DMV) region
- Develop and deliver presentations and/or trainings for local outreach events and conferences
- Conduct local outreach to nearby coalitions by participating in events, meetings and by offering person coalition development support efforts
- Work with Training, Coalition Development and Outreach colleagues to support special projects
- Other duties as assigned
The Associate of Coalition Development must have some experience in substance misuse prevention and has demonstrated competencies in the above areas. The ideal candidate will have or possess:
- Keen understanding of business etiquette
- Attention to detail and organization skills
- Knowledge of theory, concepts, and practical application of effective substance misuse prevention strategies and grassroots community mobilization.
- Knowledge of basic data collection and analysis concepts
- Ability to investigate and apply best practices appropriate for the substance misuse prevention field
- Understanding of CADCA’s community problem-solving methods and the Strategic Prevention Framework
- Familiarity with the Drug-Free Communities Support Program or federal and state grants
- Understanding of web-based customer service delivery systems and learning management systems
- Knowledge of substance misuse continuum of care
- Superior analytical skills plus demonstrated skills to handle multiple assignments simultaneously
- Superior report writing and communications skills
- Advanced skills in formatting using Microsoft Applications and Adobe Creative Suite
- Knowledge of training event logistics
- Demonstrate initiative to support, lead or establish new projects
- Outgoing personality and ability to develop relationships with coalitions and potential future customers and partners.
- Ability to work under deadline pressure and extra hours if needed on assignment.
- Prior attendance at CADCA Training events (National Leadership Forum, Mid-year Training Institute or the National Coalition Academy)
- Certified Prevention Specialist (CPS) certification
Required Training and Credentials
- Bachelor’s degree required in public health related field.
- At least 1-2 years of experience in the alcohol, tobacco, and other misuse prevention field.
Amount of travel: 20% annually
Instructions to apply: A cover letter and resume should be sent to Melissa-Kim Tom at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line COALITION DEVELOPMENT ASSOCIATE. Please note, applications without a cover letter will not be considered.